The End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) is administered by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) and the City of Hope Medical Center, USA. The course designed by this consortium provides nurses with education in palliative care preparing them to teach the information to practicing nurses and other healthcare professionals.
1 year with 3 contact sessions at Cipla Palliative Care & Training Centre.
The requirement for eligibility would be GNM or BSc Nurses with a minimum of 1 year experience in the field. They MUST speak, write and read English easily.
- There are 3 workshops over the year in Pune, each workshop duration is of 3 days. Candidates MUST attend all these 3 workshops.
- Do on site observation at Cipla Palliative Care & Training Centre and with the Home Care team during the course days at assigned times.
- To submit 4 case studies during the course of the programme. There are mentors within India who will be available throughout and will also make onsite visits for further support.
- Participants are expected to pass the test which will be given during the final session. They will also be required to teach one of the 6 modules covered in the training. Upon successful completion, they will be awarded ELNEC USA Certification.
3-day session (Session 1)
- Pain relief
- Symptom Management
- Critical thinking/teaching
- Care at the time of death
The first 3-day session will cover all these topics. Participants will also be given case study formats and computer training as well if necessary to facilitate their skype mentorship sessions.
As participants return to their work sites, they will have guidance on how to record their observations, case studies on the application of the modules they have learnt. Participants will complete 5 written case studies during this period.
ELNEC India trainers – who will visit the participant at the work site. The purpose of this is to support the participant in any practice issues and provide feedback.
Mid way session for participants (Session-2)
A 3-day workshop will be facilitated by the ELNEC trainers in India. This will provide an opportunity for participants to share their experiences of implementing the course, review their progress and resolve any challenges.
Concluding session (Session-3)
The final 3-day will be facilitated by both the trainers from the US as well as India. At this session, participants will be observed training other nurses in mock sessions. The participants will review the case studies they have completed (5 would have been completed) . On graduation from the course, participants will be awarded.
- A certificate from ELNEC and the Cipla Palliative Care and Training Centre.
- Gifted one year free membership to the Hospital and Palliative Nurses Association.
(online resources/training material/discussion groups)
The nurses who have successfully completed the full training course will be expected to take up training actively and will lead the training of the next batch.
*For further details/queries on ELNEC kindly email on firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line as ‘ELNEC Course’.